What’s the right way to use a face mask?
- Before putting on the mask, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds. If you’re not able to use soap and water, use hand sanitizer, preferably one with at least 60% alcohol.
- Put the mask on and secure it either over the ears or tie it behind your head, depending on the type of mask you have.
- Once you have the mask on, cover your mouth and nose with it, making sure there aren’t any gaps between your face and the mask.
- Do your best to avoid touching the mask while you’re using it. If you do, clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- If the mask gets damp or wet, replace it with a dry one.
- Don’t reuse single-use masks.
- To remove the mask, take it off from behind. Don’t touch the front of the mask. If it’s a single use mask, discard it properly. Don’t leave it on the ground or in a grocery cart. If it is a reusable mask, place it in a plastic bag or other container that isn’t touching other people or things.
- Once you’ve removed your mask, clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- Wash re-useable masks with soap and warm water, or in your regular laundry, after each use.